Kōriki Tadafusa


Kōriki Clan


Hizen Province

Lifespan:  Tenshō 12 (1584) to 12/11 of Meireki 1 (1656)

Rank:  bushō, daimyō

Title:  Junior Fifth Rank (Lower), Governor of Settsu

Clan:  Kōriki

Bakufu:  Edo

Domain:  Lord of Musashi-Iwatsuki, lord of Tōtōmi-Hamamatsu, lord of Hizen-Shimabara

Lord:  Tokugawa Ieyasu → Tokugawa Hidetada → Tokugawa Iemitsu

Father:  Kōriki Masanaga

Mother:  Daughter of Honda Tadatoshi

Siblings:  Tadafusa, Masashige, Nagatsugu

Wife:  Daughter of Sanada Nobuyuki

Children:  Takanaga, Takafusa, Masafusa, daughter (wife of Ogawa Masahisa)

Kōriki Tadafusa served as a bushō and daimyō during the Azuchi-Momoyama and early Edo periods.

Tadafusa served as the second lord of the Musashi-Iwatsuki domain, the lord of the Tōtōmi-Hamamatsu domain, and the first head of the Hizen-Shimabara domain.  He held the title of Junior Fifth Rank (Lower) and Governor of Settsu.  Tadafusa was the second head of the Kōriki family in the Shimabara domain.

Tadafusa was born as the eldest son of Kōriki Masanaga in Hamamatsu in Tōtōmi Province.  His father died early, so Tadafusa was raised by his grandfather, Kōriki Kiyonaga.  In 1599, he became a daimyō with a fief of 20,000 koku in Iwatsuki in Musashi Province.  In 1600, at the Battle of Sekigahara, he joined the division led by Tokugawa Hidetada of the Eastern Army.  After the war, he took custody of Mashita Nagamori who had affiliated with the defeated Western Army.  In 1609, his base at Iwatsuki Castle completely burned down, but received praise from Tokugawa Ieyasu for providing lodging for falconry outings while endeavoring to rebuild.  In 1614, upon the removal of Ōkubo Tadachika from his position, Tadafusa joined Andō Shigenobu to manage the receipt of Odawara Castle.

Toward the end of Keichō 19 (1614), Tadafusa participated as a member of Hidetada’s army at the Winter Campaign of the Siege of Ōsaka.  In the Summer Campaign, he followed Doi Toshikatsu in battle against the Toyotomi army in Nara.  After the war, Tadafusa was in charge of mopping-up the remnants of the enemy forces.  Owing to his contributions, in 1619, he was transferred to Hamamatsu with a larger fief of 30,000 koku.  In 1625, and in 1634, he received a combined increase of 10,000 koku, giving him a total fief of 40,000 koku.

In the fourth month of 1639, after the Shimabara Rebellion in Hizen Province (the largest scale uprising in Japanese history), Tadafusa was transferred by Tokugawa Iemitsu (the third shōgun of the Edo bakufu) to Shimabara with a fief of 40,000 koku.  At this time, Iemitsu deeply trusted Tadafusa so he intentionally sent him to Shimabara to rebuild the area after the war.  Other roles included providing security in Nagasaki and supervising daimyō who originated from outside the Tokugawa family in Kyūshū.  Tadafusa responded to Iemitsu’s wishes.  In the wake of the Shimabara Rebellion, he adopted policies including a one-year exemption from levies to peasants in Shimabara and offers to encourage rōnin, or wandering samurai, to settle in Shimabara, revitalizing the area.  His policy to welcome outsiders attracted persons from assorted locales to Shimabara, giving rise to a new dialect as well.

Tadafusa died on 12/11 of Meireki 1 (1655) at the age of seventy-two.