Takenomori Tsugusada


Takenomori Clan

Chikuzen Province

Takenomori Tsugusada

Lifespan:  9/2 of Tenbun 19 (1550) to 11/9 of Genna 7 (1621)

Other Names:  Inoue Shinjirō, [Common] Shinemon 

Rank:  bushō

Title:  Governor of Iwami

Clan:  Takenomori

Lord:  Kuroda Yoshitaka → Kuroda Nagamasa

Bakufu:  Edo

Domain:  Chikuzen-Fukuoka

Father:  Inoue Toshihisa

Siblings:  Brother, Brother, Tsugusada, Inoue Wakamatsumaru

Wife: [Second] Niece of Hitsotsuyanagi Naosue

Children:  Sadayuki, Masaya, Shinshichi, Toshitomo

Takenomori Tsugusada served as a bushō from the Sengoku to early Edo periods. As a retainer of the Kuroda clan, he was included among a group of retainers called the Twenty-Four Elite of the Kuroda.  He was a retainer of the Fukuoka domain in Chikuzen Province.

On 9/2 of Tenshō 19 (1550), Tsugusada was born as the third son of Inoue Toshihisa, the chief priest of the Hioka Shrine in Ōno in the Kako District of Harima Province.  His childhood name was Shintarō.

In 1559, the Hioka Shrine was attacked and completely burned down by Bessho Yasuharu.  At this time, two of Tsugusada’s older brothers died while responding to the attack.  Shintarō, together with his father (Toshihisa) and younger brother (Wakamatsumaru), fled.  In 1560, Toshihisa became a manservant of Kuroda Mototaka while Shintarō became an attendant of Kuroda Yoshitaka.  In the spring of 1565, he had his first deployment.

In 1577, during an assault on Takakurayama Castle, Tsugusada killed Iono Tosa-no-kami, the younger brother of Fukuhara Sukenari (the lord of the castle) and a chief retainer and grandfather of Sukenari named Ezaemon.  He also assisted Hiratsuka Tamehiro in the killing of Sukenari.  Owing to his contributions, Tsugusada was promoted by Yoshitaka and adopted the name of Takenomori Shinemon.  In 1578, during a siege of Harima-Beppu Castle, Tsugusada was the first to capture an enemy head, but his left thumb was severed from the base of his hand.  Thereafter, upon orders of Yoshitaka, he was assigned to assist with war banners.

In 1580, Tsugusada received 200 koku and appointed as the administrator in charge of war banners.  In this capacity, he served in numerous battles including an assault on Tottori Castle, the Siege of Bitchū-Takamatsu Castle, the Battle of Yamazaki, the Battle of Shizugatake, an assault on Kiidani, and the Bunroku-Keichō Campaign.  During this period, he received a series of increases to his fief including 300 koku in 1586, 400 koku in 1587, 600 koku in 1590, and 900 koku in 1592.  In 1600, at the Battle of Sekigahara, Tsugusada followed Yoshitaka and participated in attacks across Kyūshū.

In 1601, he received 2,500 koku near Najima Castle in Chikuzen Province.  Tsugusada was in charge of the construction of the Hyakken stone wall at the Hakata entrance to Fukuoka Castle.  In 1602, after the birth of Kuroda Tadayuki (under the childhood name of 万徳丸), Tsugusada and Yoshida Nagatoshi served as his godfathers.  Thereafter, Tsugusada’s fief was increased to 3,000 koku and he received the court title of Governor of Iwami.

On 11/9 of Genna 7 (1621), Tsugusada died in Fukuoka.  He was seventy-two years old.