Kimotsuki Kaneatsu


Kimotsuki Clan


Ōsumi Province

Lifespan:  Eiroku 5 (1562) to 6/29 of Keichō 14 (1609)

Other Names:  Kogorō (childhood), 兼仍, Karinosuke, Hanbei 

Rank:  bushō

Title:  Governor of Echizen

Clan:  Kiire-Kimotsuki

Lord:  Shimazu Yoshihisa → Shimazu Tadatsune

Domain:  Satsuma-Kiire

Father:  Kimotsuki Kanemori

Mother:  Daughter of Hishikari 重根

Siblings:  Kanehiro, Kaneatsu, sister (wife of Niiro Tadamitsu)

Wife:  Daughter of Iwakiri Yoshinobu

Children:  Kanetake

Kimotsuki Kaneatsu served as a bushō during the Azuchi-Momoyama and early Edo periods.  He served as the first head of the Kiire-Kimotsuki clan of Ōsumi Province.

The Kiire-Kimotsuki were an illegitimate branch of the Kimotsuki clan founded by Kimotsuki Kanemitsu, the third son of Kimotsuki Kanetada and twelfth head of the Kimotsuki clan in the Muromachi period.

In 1562, Kaneatsu was born as the son of Kimotsuki Kanemori.  In 1590, his older brother, Kimotsuki Kanehiro, died wihout an heir.  Upon the fervent request of Ijūin Tadamune, a senior retainer of the Shimazu clan, Tadamune’s third son, Kimotsuki Kanehiro, succeeded to the headship of the main branch of the Kimotsuki clan.

In 1599, after the slaying of Ijūin Tadamune by Shimazu Tadatsune at the Shimazu residence in Fushimi, Tadamune’s third son, Kanehiro, departed from the Kimotsuki family and, following consultations among family members, a decision was made to nominate Kaneatsu as the successor.  This selection was permitted by Shimazu Yoshihisa to which Shimazu Yoshihiro and Shimazu Tadatsune further consented.  That same year, after Tadamune’s eldest son, Ijūin Tadazane, launched the Shōnai Rebellion, upon orders of Yoshihiro and Tadatsune, he participated in the army to oppose Tadazane.

In 1605, a plot was discovered by which his cousins, Kimotsuki Kaneaki and Kimotsuki Kanetaka (the sons of his uncle, Kimotsuki Kaneari) aimed to take over the Kimotsuki family.  Kaneatsu brought the plot to an end.

In 1609, Kaneatsu followed his lord, Shimazu Iehisa, on a deployment to the Ryūkyū Islands.  After returning to Japan, he died of illness on 6/29 of Keichō 14 (1609).  He was forty-eight years old.