Hongō Tokihisa


Hongō Clan


Hyūga Province

Lifespan:  Kyōroku 3 (1530) to 2/3 of Keichō 1 (1596)

Other Names:  Tadatoyo, Jirō (common), Uemon-no-jō, Unsai (monk’s name)

Rank:  bushō

Clan:  Hongō

Father:  Hongō Tadachika

Mother:  Daughter of Nejime Takashige

Siblings:  Tokihisa, Hisamichi, Shimazu Tomohisa

Wife:  [Formal] Daughter of Honda 薫親, [Second] Daughter of Hongō Tadataka, [Consort] Daughter of Nanbu clan

Children:   Daughter (wife of Shimazu Mochihisa), Sukehisa, Tadatora, daughter (Hishijma Yoshitomo), Mitsuhisa, Hisamura, Tadayori, 久栄

Hongō Tokihisa served as a bushō during the Sengoku period.  Based at Miyakono Castle, Tokihisa served as the tenth head of the Hongō clan and controlled the Shōnai area of Hyūga Province.

In 1530, Tokihisa was born as the eldest son of Hongō Tadachika, later known as Shimazu Tadachika of the Shimazu-Hōshū family.

Tokihisa combined with the main branch of the Shimazu clan to fight against the Kimotsuki of Ōsumi Province and the Itō of Hyūga.  Owing to these achievements, in 1562, he was granted territory by Shimazu Takahisa.  That same year, Tokihisa, along with Takahisa and Sagara Yoshihi of Higo Province, supported the revitalization of the Kitahara clan whose territory and headship had been forcibly taken over by the Itō.  In 1578, after the Ōtomo advanced into Hyūga, Tokihisa was ordered to join the vanguard at Miyazaki Castle.  Approximately 1,000 former elements of the Itō clan which fell into ruin the year prior rebelled from the Sannō Plains but Tokihisa and his forces killed over 300 enemy soldiers and scattered the remainder.  In 1579, Tokihisa had a falling out with his lineal heir, Hongō Sukehisa, and forced him to commit seppuku.  Thereafter, he designated his second son, Hongō Tadatora, as his successor.  The reason for the discord between Tokihisa and Sukehisa is not certain, but, according to one account, occurred after retainers of the clan slandered Sukehisa out of fear of their situation should he become the next head of the clan.

During the Subjugation of Kyūshū by Toyotomi Hideyoshi, Tokihisa joined the Shimazu to resist the invasion.  Given that he was not originally a rival of the Toyotomi, Tokihisa apologized, via Ishida Mitsunari and Ijūin Tadamune, to Hideyoshi.  After tendering a hostage, he received recognition of his rights to his landholdings.  Later, however, he was transferred to Kedōin in the north-central portion of Satsuma Province.  Tokihisa named his original residence Miyano Castle which later became a place name.  Ijūin Tadamune entered Miyakono Castle.  During the Bunroku-Keichō Campaign on the Korean Peninsula, after the early death of Tadatora, Tokihisa became a guardian of his grandson, Nagachiyomaru (later known as Hongō Tadayoshi). 

In 1596, Tokihisa died at the age of sixty-six.  Nagachiyomaru became the next head of the clan while Tokihisa’s third son, Hongō Mitsuhisa, succeeded Tokihisa as his guardian.